New South Wales laws being consistently breached, 'not operational' or repeatedly ignored
N.S.W LAW NAME/s and CONTRAVENING BUREAUCRACIES
Re: Camphor Laurel Trees
NSW Noxious Weeds Act (1993)/ Cinnamomum camphora, ..........declared 'Noxious' in many Shires North of Sydney - since 1974.
1. NSW AGRICULTURE
The same Department which helped write the Act (1993) has consistently failed to:-
1.1 Since 1998 take any steps whatsoever to clear old or young Camphor Laurel from any of its own 'managed.' tick-dip sites in Lismore Shire and others where Cinnamomum camphora is declared 'Noxious' even after public complaints;
1.2 Advise livestock owners, especially horseowners that 'stock consuming Camphor can result in death at Autumn time, and reduced livestock condition; as well as sterility to poultry grazing under the trees;
1.3 Advise the Minister for Agriculture that it was wrong to delete all mention of 'toxicity', and 'poison plant/s' from the revised Noxious Weeds Act, after its long-time inclusion in ealier Acts, + other states.
1.4 Set an appropriate community example and remove and replace with natives all toxic Camphor Laurels on its own Research establishment lands, eg in Wollongbar( NSW Gov't land).
1.5 ADVISE THE Minister for Agriculture that this species of tree regularly (CERTAIN CHEMOTYPES) contains high level percentages of SAFROLE, a highly toxic precursor for the illicit manufacture of drugs such as ecstasy; local, NSW Nth'Rivers production not unknown!
2. NSW EDUCATION
In those Northern Rivers Shires, eg Lismore, Maclean & Taree, for which Cinnamomum camphora is declared 'Noxious' there has been 'no move' by the Department to replace old Camphors, excepting some Richmond Valley Council Shire schools (not done by the Department's decision.)*, cleared (2000-2002) by Parents & Citizens' organizations.
NSW Crown Lands Act (1990)
3. NSW DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND WATER CONSERVATION (DLWC) has to date almost totally failed to initiate any Camphor clearance of supposedly protected wetland, 'road enclosures' and other Crown Land for which it is allegedly responsible, nor to alert NSW Weed Control Authorities (regional) to have that work performed on Crown Land.
NSW Local Government Act (1919) and Crown Lands Act (1990)
4. LISMORE and many similar CITY COUNCILS' own title to land portions or manage Camphor infested Crown Lands yet take NIL ACTION to property clear or replace Noxious Weeds, including Camphor Laurels, even three years after it was declared 'Noxious' in that Shire!
NSW Fisheries Management Act (1974)
5. Nil duty of care; NSW Fisheries at Ballina refuse to autopsy or blood-sample dead fish washed-up in flood conditions (2001) in and around Camphor infested streams upstream of Lismore; fail any duty of care under their own Act, to even visit the streams where fish have all died, AND conspire with NSW Agriculture to hold a secretive 'bureaucrats only' conference at Wollongbar on the Cause of Fish Deaths excluding independent scientists.
NSW Environment Protection Act (1974)
6. Under 'Pollution Line'/Hotline NSW DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT staff are specifically obliged to investigate all acts of industrial pollution and any other stream point source pollution, which is the case with individual 'extremely toxic' Camphor type trees!
NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act (1995)
7. NSW NATIONAL PARKS & WILDLIFE SERVICE and DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
Regional and District Officers fail to take the recent population crashes of rare, threatened and endangered fauna eating Camphor Laurel at all seriously, and apply NSW (EPA)'s 'Precautionary Principle' by taking urgent action to have Camphor Laurel trees in NSW declared a 'Key Threatening Process'; since 1999. NP & WS refuse to act on this overdue, now urgent, matter.
Coincidentally, no less than SIX Acts of Parliament are being illegally breached or ignored by SIX well known Authorities/NSW bureaucracies, all of which cumulative obfuscation has been ongoing since 1995 - for the past 10 years!
• Footnote: Nil acknowledgement or answer or response from NSW Education Head Office to two letters to date since 2000!